To understand leadership within human services organizations, it is first important to recognize four frameworks that work within human services organizations
To understand leadership within human services organizations
To understand leadership within human services organizations, it is first important to recognize four frameworks that work within human services organizations. The frameworks are structural, human resource, political, and symbolic. The structural framework promotes efficient operations and goal-oriented administration. A leader under this framework may emphasize structure, strategy, and results. The human resource framework promotes human aspects, both individual and group, within an organization. A leader under this framework supports and empowers staff. The political framework emphasizes conflict and differences among organizational members. A leader under this framework attempts to build coalitions and negotiate compromise. Finally, the symbolic framework relates to organizational culture and mission. Leaders under this framework are inspirational and visionary. When organizational issues arise, one or more of these four frameworks may come into play. Leadership styles also correspond to a given framework.
For this Assignment review the “Introduction to Human Services Administration” video. Take note of and select one issue faced by the human services administrator. Consider the cause of the issue you select. Think about which framework relates to it and the leadership style that corresponds to it.
The assignment (2–3 pages):
- Identify and briefly describe the major issue you selected from the Introduction to Human Services Administrationvideo in this week’s resources.
- Explain which conceptual framework(s) applies to the major issue you selected.
- Explain one leadership style that corresponds to the framework(s).
- Share an insight about how conceptual frameworks account for leadership style in human services organizations.
- Be specific in attributing the issue you observe to the framework and the leadership style that is at work.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course. You should include in your references at least two resources included in this week’s resources and at least one outside scholarly resource.