Investing in products and services should produce returns so that stockholders, stakeholders, and others are interested in the organization.
In this assignment, you will learn about a new product or service.
For M1 Assignment 3 (“Understanding the Numbers for Better Decisions”), you chose a publicly-traded company and analyzed its financial statements. Use that company to do the following:
- Identify a new product or service—either recently rolled out or about to be rolled out—in the company you chose in Module 1 (Note: Information about new products or services can be found on a company’s website or in the management’s discussion and analysis section of the company’s annual report.If you cannot locate a new product or service introduced by the company please invent something.)
- Analyze the quality of the company’s existing products or services. Try answering the following questions about returns on the new product or service of your choice.
- What is the return on equity earned by the company? Based upon this return, is the company picking good products or services?
- What is the return on capital earned by the company? Based upon this return, is the company picking good products or services?
- Discuss how the company financed the initiative and why it was perceived to be advantageous. To answer this question, you might want to look at the following:
- How sensitive has this company’s value been to changes in macro-economic variables such as interest rates, currency movements, inflation, and the economy?
- How sensitive has this company’s operating income been to changes in the same variables?
- How sensitive is the sector’s value and operating income to the same variables?
Write a 2- to 3-page paper. Submit your paper to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
This assignment requires to analyze the impact of new product on firm performance. I would suggest you to find new product released prior to 2016. So, you have at least one year financial statement available to do the analysis and monitoring.
Present your paper in Microsoft Word document format. All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
Use the following file naming convention:
Name your document as: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria Maximum Points Demonstrated proficient understanding of the new products and the quality of existing products or services as student addresses tasks posed in the assignment. 28 Analyzed the return on equity and return on capital earned by the company. Provided the conclusions about the quality of the company’s existing projects. 28 Discussed the funding sources of the initiative. Analyzed the sensitivity of this company’s operating income from micro- and macroeconomic factors. 28 Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation 16 Total: 100