Bollywood versus Hollywood: Battle of the Dream Factories
Bollywood versus Hollywood
- Introduction to Part VIII
- Chapter 50: Bollywood versus Hollywood: Battle of the Dream Factories
- Chapter 51: Why Hollywood Rules the World, and Whether We Should Care
Our previous discussion focused on your own personal experiences with media products (music, film, videogames, fashion, etc.) imported from cultures foreign to your own. This discussion will be more analytical. The goal will be to evaluate and critique Tyrell’s argument (in Chapter 50 of our textbook) that the success of India’s “Bollywood” films represents the mass cultural resistance of Indian audiences to the threat of Americanization.
Please answer the following question:
- Do you agree with Tyrell’s view that non-western countries have the capacity to resist Western culture?
- What paradoxes about cultural globalization does Tyrell illustrate through the case of the Indian cinema industry?