Creating an Infographic
One of the challenges in today’s world is how to communicate large amounts of information in a way that it is both easily understood and can be quickly read. To that end, more and more information is communicated via infographics. Many of your pins in week 3 were infographics. Here’s an example of an infographic that helps explain the value:
For this week’s assignment, I will be asking you to create an original infographic that reflects an aspect of marketing in the new economy.
- Choose a key idea that resonates with you – video marketing, content marketing, permission marketing, social media (etc.) and delve into the topic further. The intent of this assignment is to help you better organize and represent your thinking as it relates to week 5 content. If you are unclear as to how an infographic is used, I encourage you to study several before you start your preparation. Find ones that are clear, easy to read, attractive and convey content in a useful and relevant way. Pinterest has hundreds, including your Pinterest boards from week 3.
The best way to approach the assignment is as if you were preparing a paper.
- Choose the key idea or ideas you want to highlight.
- Research these ideas so that you can expand on your thinking and substantiate your work.
- Make an outline.
- Then, instead of writing the paper, create the content in an Infographic format.
- Look for visuals to convey your thinking rather than using words.
This assignment is meant to be a fun activity that reinforces a very common way that information is quickly and easily communicated. It also creates a forum which you are developing and utilizing a skill that is indicative of the technology based systems we are discussing in class. Keep in mind that sources still need to be cited.
- Use an in-text citation after the content, and
- Submit a Works Cited page with the assignment or list works cited at the bottom of the Infographic.
- The submission should also include a summary What did you learn from creating the infographic, both from curating the content as well as the actual process itself? How did the assignment reinforce the class content? Be specific.
Creating an Infographic
There are a number of sources for creating infographics. Using PowerPoint might be the easiest. Here is a good source: Hubspot Blogs – How to Create an Infographic in Under an Hour (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. You may also want to try Venngage. Their basic infographic templates are free, but I have heard from other students that saving/printing can be problematic so you should check that out in advance. Here is the link: Venngage – Creating an Infographic in Three Easy Steps (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Once you log in, click on templates, infographics. There are a variety of templates under that heading, you might find the “informational” one the most useful, but this is your choice. (Not all are free so look for one that is.) There is also Visme (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and Canva.com (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and probably a host of other solutions as well. The article entitled 7 Easy Steps to Create an Awesome Infographic in 30 Minutes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. was recommended by previous students. Feel free to use any of them. Most have a free version, which is all you need for this assignment.