Analyze two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages of creating portable learning assets for an LMS
Creating portable learning assets for an LMS
“Making Assets Portable” Please respond to the following:
- Analyze two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages of creating portable learning assets for an LMS.
- Use the Internet to research alternatives to Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM). Determine at least one (1) alternative to SCORM and recommend a way for an organization of your choice to package its assets to make them portable. Explain your rationale.
“Making Assets Portable”
– Analyze two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages of creating portable learning assets for an LMS.
Advantages of portable learning assets include:
- Learner actively involved in his or her e-learning
- Flexibility and adaptability according to availability time and location
- Personal progress monitoring during e-Learning course and appraisal of results obtained thanks to tracking
- Self-assessment during and at end of course
- Interactivity and attractiveness of e-Learning content an Training at own pace, independently, of other learners
Disadvantages of portable learning assets include:
- Command of computer tools, reticence in face of new technologies
- Autonomous self-management as no imposed training framework
- Management of motivation and involvement in e-Learning, concentration effort
- No direct contacts with trainer, except in the case of blended learning
-Use the Internet database to research alternatives to Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM). Determine at least one (1) alternative to SCORM and recommend a way for an organization of your choice to package its assets to make them portable. Explain your rationale.
An alternative to SCORM would be Tin Can. It allows UNESCO options for a future proof e-Learning content. However, it allows UNESCO to benefit from the potential of a new technology that will be enhanced as it’s embraced by the industry. Tin Can, can also integrate an LMS like LearnUpon with a Learning Record Store (LRS) to fully leverage Tin Can’s reporting power. It offers a number of fancy improvements over the old method, which is a great advance for UNESCO’s organization. The Tic Can Spec allows UNESCO organization to capture more richer data due to its powerful LMS like LearnUpon. This allows UNESCO to automate reports based on the incredibly detailed data that Tin Can tracks. Tin Cans’ protocal is mobile ready and tracks a lot more movement than the older method. UNESCO organization will be using iPhones which can be tracked and record lots of data.
In Education for all ( EFA) is an international commitment to provide high quality basic education for all children, youth and adults. The goals of UNESCO organization is to provide important international development framework against which progress at the global, regional and national levels is measured and compared. Most countries have includes these goals in their development policies and monitoring systems. Since 2000 the UNESCO organization and EFA goals have been driven national policies and development in many countries, and have been a basis for mobilizing resources for education. Many countries have legislation that makes the government responsible for designing relevant and good quality learning materials and for providing teachers.
Farrell, Joseph P. and Hartwell, Ash. 2008. Planning for successful alternative schooling; a possible route to Education for All. International Institute for Educational Planning, Paris. http://unesco.org/images/0015/001598/159851e.pdf