Review the resource entitled “Cambodian Culture” in this week’s Learning Resources, and consider the values that individuals from this area may hold. Think about how these values would influence how you approach working with someone from Cambodia.
It is not feasible for human and social services professionals to be familiar with the cultural values and norms of every cultural group present within a community they serve. Being a successful scholar-practitioner in this era of diversity does, however, require the ability to acknowledge possible differences, practice open mindedness, and research or seek guidance about culturally sensitive interventions.
The needs of immigrants and ethical issues pertaining to them may be particularly complex. They are influenced not only by cultural background but also by individual experiences and situations in home countries, experiences during the immigration process itself, acculturation experiences in the country of settlement, and other variables.
For this Discussion, you analyze a case study of a young Cambodian immigrant and consider her needs through the lens of culturally sensitive treatment. Further, you consider ethical responsibilities you may have toward the client and her family, using the NOHS standards as a guide.
- Review the resource entitled “Cambodian Culture” in this week’s Learning Resources, and consider the values that individuals from this area may hold. Think about how these values would influence how you approach working with someone from Cambodia.
- Consider the NOHS standards that would be applicable to working with immigrants.
- Consider the first part of the case study of Pareth and her family within in the Weekly Resources.
By Day 3
Post your response to the following questions as they relate to the scenario presented:
- What can you do to assist Pareth in her goals while respecting her culture and the needs of her family? What cultural aspects are most important to consider in this case, and why?
- What are your ethical responsibilities to the family and to Pareth? Why are these ethical considerations necessary? Be specific, and support your answer with references to the NOHS standards.