Include a brief statement that identifies your style of conflict management.
Style of conflict management
After reading the article, analyze the scenarios provided below, and choose one to discuss in your case study paper. In your case study, be sure to address the following items:
- Begin the discussion by identifying which of the scenarios you chose.
- Include a brief statement that identifies your style of conflict management.
- Use the information provided in this unit to develop a process to resolve the conflict.
- Describe how you would handle the workplace investigation for the chosen scenario.
As a result of a merger, the organization decided to decentralize its human resource management (HRM) functions and create area human resource (HR) generalists across the United States. One of their responsibilities is to handle all employee relations issues. You report directly to the senior vice president of HRMin the corporate headquarters in New York, and there is a dotted line reporting relationship to the vice president of field operations in your area, which is located in the Midwest. You just arrived at your new location for this position about six days ago.
Armed with the information you have learned in Units I and II and aided by your own experience and ability to research, please read the scenarios below, and select one for this assignment. Please answer the questions, and follow the guidelines presented.
Your senior vice president (SVP) of HRM has received a complaint from two branch managers in your geographic area. They are separate but similar complaints concerning Robert, the SVP of Area Operations. Both managers say Robert touches them and other women in the office inappropriately by rubbing their shoulders; the managers also report that Robert makes remarks about their alluring attire and comments that he is in love with them for the great job they are doing. Knowing you are housed in the same area office with this SVP, your boss asks you if you can objectively investigate this complaint. You talk it over with your boss and knowhe will support your efforts, and you agree to do the investigation.
Almost as soon as you give your answer to your boss, you receive a phone call from the area SVP’s wife, who somehow already knows you will be interviewing her husband for a harassment complaint. She is irate and states that the charges are ridiculous. She becomes belligerent and begins to degrade the female managers.
Based on your knowledge of employment law, conflict management, and investigation procedures, what would be the best way to handle this situation? For example, what laws are involved? Where do you start? Who do you notify? When do you start? What do you tell the area SVP’s wife?
In this situation, you are the employee relations representative for the organization. What is your role in the investigative process? Describe the steps you take to investigate this employee complaint.
In your response to the scenario you have chosen, follow the guidelines below:
- Be sure to include academic sources to support your positions/conclusions. You are required to use at least two outside sources beyond the required reading for this unit.
- Be sure that your analysis is highly relevant, thorough, and remains on topic.
- Accuracy should be strong, with close attention to detail in all parts of the assignment.
- Writing should be clear and concise with solid sentence structure and should be free of grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
- Your paper should be at least three pages in length.
All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA format. Information about accessing the grading rubric for this assignment is provided below.