Select either Shays’ Rebellion or ADA, 1990. Discuss how your chosen event/legislation is either an example of Freedom vs. Order or Freedom vs. Equality. Please complete your answers clearly. Do not have short answers.
1. Select either Shays’ Rebellion or ADA, 1990. Discuss how your chosen event/legislation is either an example of Freedom vs. Order or Freedom vs. Equality.
2. What freedoms are most important to you?
3. What freedoms are you willing to give up in an effort to maintain order?
4. After September 11 there was great discussion of furthering order to keep our nation safe. For example, many individuals argued for the right of the government to be able to increase its wiretapping powers in order to avert terrorist acts. Do you think the government should do more to keep citizens safe? Why or why not? What things would you be willing (or unwilling) to give up in order to maintain safety?
5. Choose one amendment and using a specific example why you think it is outdated and needs to be changed. If you feel that all of the amendments are still relative to life today, write a new amendment about a specific issue and justify why you feel it should be represented in the Constitution. Now explain the 2nd Amendment and 8th Amendment why it is outdated and needs to be changed.
A. Identify one example of a policy or part of the U.S. Constitution that increased the power of the federal government. Explain how it was able to tip the balance of power toward the federal government.
B. Identify one example of a policy or part of the U. S. Constitution that increased the power of the individual states. Explain how it was able to tip the balance of power toward the states.
A. Which party do most of your friends identify with?
B. Is this similar to national patterns?
C. Is the number of students who identify with the “independent” status greater than the number of students who identify with the Democratic or Republican parties? Why do you think this is?
D. Do you generally agree more with your peers or your parents? How does knowing about your parents and peers political opinions shape or influence yours?
The Constitution was an attempt to address problems of decentralization that were experienced under the Articles of Confederation.
A. Discuss three problems of decentralization that occurred under the Articles of Confederation. For each problem you list, identify one solution that the Constitution provides to address the problem.
B. Some have argued the tension between decentralized power and centralized power continues to exist. Support this argument by explaining how one of the following demonstrates the continued tension.
· Environmental policy
· Gun control
· Disability access