Describe its service area in terms of current population, future population, competitors, and major environmental influences that will affect its operations 5 years from now.
current population, future population, competitors, and major environmental influences
No health care organization exists in a bubble. It is affected by, and exerts influence on, its environment. A SWOT analysis is a tool used to look at the internal (strengths and weaknesses) and external (opportunities and threats) environmental strategic factors for any given company, including a health care organization. What is happening internally and externally in the general health care market that will affect the company? What about in its specific geographical area? Who are the customers? What are the company resources? How great is the demand for its product, and how is that health care organization different than the competition? The answers to these questions provide you with the answers necessary to evaluate the company’s strengths and vulnerabilities. In this assignment you will conduct a SWOT analysis of a health care organization.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Choose a health care organization, either one for which you are working or another in the community. It can be the same one you used for this week’s Discussion.
To complete this Assignment, write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Provide a brief summary of the location, services, and activities of your chosen health care organization.
- Describe its service area in terms of current population, future population, competitors, and major environmental influences that will affect its operations 5 years from now.
- Identify two threats and two opportunities (external assessments) for your chosen organization that may be present 5 years in the future.
- Based on your current knowledge and general impression of the organization, what do you believe are its strengths and weaknesses (internal assessments)?
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure your in-text citations and reference list are correct.
Zuckerman, A. M. (2012). Healthcare strategic planning (3rd ed.). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
Chapter 3, “Activity I: Analyzing the Environment”
Chapter 4, “Activity II: Identifying Organizational Direction”
Harrison, J., & Association of University Programs in Health Administration. (2010). Essentials of strategic planning in healthcare. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
Copyright 2010 by Health Administration Press. Reprinted by permission of Health Administration Press via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Chapter 2, “Mission, Vision, and Culture: The Foundation for Strategic Planning”
Nelson, W. A., & Gardent, P. B. (2011). Organizational values statements. Healthcare Executive, 26(2), 56–59. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the ProQuest Central database: http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://proquest.umi.com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/pqdweb?did=2287435721&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=70192&RQT=309&VName=PQD
Spallina, J. (2004). Strategic planning—getting started: Mission, vision, and values. Journal of Oncology Management, 13(1), 10–11. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete database: http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=13727030&site=ehost-live&scope=site