Legal Issues of Counterintelligence
Type: Individual Project
Unit: Legal Issues of Counterintelligence
Grading Type: Numeric
Points Possible: 135
Points Earned: 0
Deliverable Length: 750–1,000 words
View objectives for this assignment
Looking for tutoring? Go to Smarthinking
Collapse All | Expand All Collapse All | Expand All
Library Research Assignment
The National Security Act of 1947 established the legal framework for the United States Intelligence Community (USIC), including U.S. counterintelligence. The main purpose for this framework was to create a coordinated and centralized intelligence effort for the United States. When the Act was established, the USIC was relatively small, but it continued to grow and expand not only in size but also in responsibility. Over the years, numerous commissions and political initiatives have examined the growth and expanding mission of the USIC. It is through recommendations by these commissions that the United States has sought to address its numerous shortcomings within the U.S. intelligence and counterintelligence communities. These recommendations have encompassed everything from basic restructuring to the dissolution of intelligence agencies such as the CIA.
For this assignment, you must research and review proposals for intelligence reorganization from 1947 to the present and choose the one proposal that you feel has had the biggest impact on U.S. counterintelligence operations. You must then write a research paper of 750–1,000 words specifically discussing this proposal and why you feel this it has had the greatest impact on U.S. counterintelligence. Your paper should include a summary of the proposal, the incident or event that led to the creation of the proposal, whether or not the proposal was enacted, and the impact the proposal had on the counterintelligence mission. This assignment will require additional outside research, and your paper must be supported by at least 2 scholarly references.
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research and review proposals for intelligence reorganization from 1947 to the present.
- Select the one proposal that you feel has had the biggest impact on U.S. counterintelligence operations.
- Address the following in a research paper of 750–1,000 words:
- Provide a detailed summary of the proposal.
- Provide a summary of the incident or event that led to the creation of the proposal.
- State whether or not the proposal was enacted.
- Explain the reasoning behind the decision.
- What impact did the proposal have on the U.S. counterintelligence mission?
- Why do you feel that this proposal had the greatest impact on the U.S. counterintelligence mission?
- Be sure to thoroughly justify your arguments.
- This assignment will require additional outside research, and your paper must be supported by at least 2 scholarly references.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
There is no reading assignment for this phase.
- Evaluate legal and ethical issues related to principles and processes of counterintelligence operations.
There is no additional information to display at this time.