Examine the sustainability best practices that the organizations are engaged in or are planning to adopt and their perceived meaning to the organizations.
Sustainability and Innovation
Implementing sustainability measures is a complex task involving management of supply chain risk factors such as scarce resources, social and labor problems, and subcontractor oversight. Despite the known potential to improve productivity and cost structures many companies are finding it difficult to successfully implement sustainable measures.
As stated on each of their Web sites, Southwest Airlines and American Airlines purport to be engaged in sustainable best practices and innovation. Review each company’s official standpoint on sustainability and environmental reports at the following:
- Southwest Airlines. Environmental initiatives: Environmental stewardship. Retrieved from http://www.southwest.com/html/southwest-difference/southwest-citizenship/environmental-initiatives/index.html
- American Airlines. Protecting the environment. Retrieved from http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/corporateResponsibility/environment/protecting-the-environment.jsp
Using the Argosy University online library resources and the Internet research the two airlines.
Compare and contrast the business practices of the two organizations and the value they place on sustainability. Cover the following in your comparative analysis:
- Examine the sustainability best practices that the organizations are engaged in or are planning to adopt and their perceived meaning to the organizations.
- Describe the innovation types and processes the organizations have formulated or are formulating.
- Provide a hypothesis on the reasons why the innovation types might have been the focus. Explain whether or not you believe they have been successful in their sustainability endeavors.
By the due date assigned, post your response to the Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Grading Criteria Maximum Points Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions 16 Quality of responses to classmates 12 Frequency of responses to classmates 4 Reference to supporting readings and other materials 4 Language and gramma