Southwest Airlines Essay
Southwest Airlines Essay
Please analyze Southwest Airlines, identify the reasons why the company has been successful in the unattractive industry, and predict its future. You need to research the company, using a variety of reliable sources such as books, journal articles, library database, trustworthy news media, credible Web sources, etc. After collecting relevant information, you need to evaluate and draw conclusions based on deductive reasoning. Your response should include the following segments:
- Operational overview of Southwest Airlines. Why is the company so successful?
- Current economic condition of the airline industry. How would this affect Southwest Airlines?
- Current operational issues or challenges within Southwest Airlines. How can Southwest Airlines take on the issues or challenges?
- Trends for the future within the operational segment. How can Southwest Airlines remain competitive in the future?
To effectively address the above questions, you are expected to write an evaluation essay (with the headings preferred) using deductive reasoning. Here are a few tips:
- The purpose of an evaluation essay is to present an opinion or viewpoint on a subject or body of work. The writer should firstly provide a summary of the article in question, then present a point-of-view supported with clear examples and evidence, using a thorough, well-structured argument so that the evaluation seems reasoned and unbiased.
- Deductive reasoning starts with a general principle and deduces that it applies to a specific case. Deductive reasoning moves with exacting precision from the assumed truth of a set of premises to a conclusion which cannot be false if those premises are true. Explain the deductive reasoning process applied to analyze the firm’s performance.
Case Rubric – Southwest Airlines Case Rubric – Southwest Airlines Criteria Ratings Pts This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Description of criterion Clear explanation of key strategic issues • The problems, scope, and seriousness was clearly identified in the discussions. • There was a well focused diagnosis of strategic issues and key problems that demonstrated a good grasp of the company’s present situation and strategic issues. • Summary of article in question • Did not waste space summarizing information already found in the case.
This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Valid arguments; analysis of performance with relevant supportive detail• Logically organized, key points, key arguments, and important criteria for evaluating business strategies were easily identified • Critical issues and key problems that supported the Case Analysis were identified and clearly analyzed and supported. • Discussed current economic and operational issues • Discussed operational trends for the future
This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Conclusions and recommendations are congruent with strategic analysis• Specific recommendations and/or plans of action provided. • Specific data or facts were referred to when necessary to support the analysis and conclusions. • Recommendations and conclusions were presented and supported in a literate and effective manner.