Understand the process of globalization and its consequences for societies, cultures, groups, and individuals.
Globalization and its consequences for societies
This activity will enable you to:
- Understand the process of globalization and its consequences for societies, cultures, groups, and individuals.
Read the following from Lechner and Boli (Eds.), (2015). The Globalization Reader (5th ed.)
- Introduction to Part VIII
- Chapter 46: Cultural Imperialism
- Chapter 47: Mapping Global Media Flow and Contra-Flow
- Chapter 50: Bollywood versus Hollywood: Battle of the Dream Factories
- Chapter 51: Why Hollywood Rules the World, and Whether We Should Care
This writing assignment asks you to synthesize what you have learned in this module about the global culture industry and its relationship to the larger process of globalization. In a 500-word essay (not including your cover page) discuss the ways in which media globalization contributes to both homogenization and diversity in the countries of the world. Use examples from at least two countries, of which at least one should be from the South (not Japan, Australia, Canada, the US or any country in Western Europe) Be sure to include a thesis statement and supporting arguments.