Explain the SARA problem-solving process, its specific stages, and how it is used in law enforcement.
SARA problem-solving process
1. Illustrate the traditional organization of police authority and the structural hierarchy. Then
explain how this organization has begun to change and where the authority has been shifted as
departments have adopted a community policing philosophy.
2. List the special populations that may pose especially challenging communication issues to
law enforcement officers and describe, in as much detail as you can, specific ways officers can
make communication with these populations more effective.
3. Discuss under what circumstances an arrest can legally be made and explain why it is crucial
that law enforcement officers be understanding and skilled at making lawful arrests.
4. Explain the SARA problem-solving process, its specific stages, and how it is used in law
5. Discuss the controversy surrounding police pursuits and the two juxtaposing positions in this
debate. In addition, list specific issues that must be addressed in a pursuit policy and illustrate a
basic pursuit continuum.
6. Discuss suicide by cop (SBC), including characteristics of the typical subject, indicators the
subject may be attempting SBC, and steps officers can take when responding to a potential SBC incident.