Introduction To Earth & Portraying The Earth :Find an example of one of these maps (cylindrical, planar, conic, and pseudocylindrical) – can be from a printed source, an online source, etc.
Introduction To Earth & Portraying The Earth
Basic Concepts Assignment
As you’ve learned in the reading/lecture and the YouTube videos, all maps have distortions. This is because it is mathematically impossible to accurately portray a curved surface on a flat piece of paper. As a result, there are four main map projections (i.e. techniques in which we can create maps) used to create the majority of world maps we see today. These are Cylindrical (or Mercator), Planar, Conic, and Pseudocylindrical. Each of these has their own types of distortions.
For this assignment:
- Find an example of one of these maps (cylindrical, planar, conic, and pseudocylindrical) – can be from a printed source, an online source, etc.
- In a paragraph (or two) describe which map projection is being used in your example and discuss the resulting distortion the audience is seeing. Your description should be a minimum of 150 words. Be sure to use complete sentences and remember this is an academic assignment, not a Facebook post or text message – proper spelling and punctuation count! See the rubric below for specifics on grading criteria.
- Attach a copy of the map so your instructor can view it. There a couple options for including an image in your assignment. You can copy and paste the image into the assignment itself or you can upload and attach the image separately. If you need further clarification or instructions on adding an image, please do not hesitate to ask.
- Lastly, be sure to cite all resources (including the online textbook and/or my lecture) at the end of your post using MLA citation format. Here is a link to the CoA citation page if you are unfamiliar with MLA citation format – http://alameda.peralta.edu/library/files/2012/04/MLABriefCOA.pdf (链接到外部网站。)链接到外部网站。. Also worth noting is that copying and pasting (word-for-word) from websites and/or other sources is unacceptable for college-level work (especially if this makes up the entirety of your assignment). Remember, I need to be able to evaluation your understanding of the material. If all of your work is copied and pasted from elsewhere and presented as your own, then this is plagiarism issue and you will not receive any credit (see syllabus for details).
- Extra Credit Opportunity (optional, worth 2 points) – find and discuss an example of a map projection not mentioned in the video or text (there are hundreds if not thousands of different types of map projections out there). Include an image and brief (additional 100 word minimum) description. Be sure to cite any sources used.
I recommend completing this assignment on separate word processing software (such as Word), so you have a copy of it, then attaching it when you submit. To submit your assignment click on the “Submit Assignment” link at the top, left. You may submit multiple files and they can be in any standard format (i.e. Word document, PDF, or Pages). Just be sure to upload all your files at once (i.e. do not try to submit one on Wednesday and another on Sunday). Once you submit your assignment, you will not be able to go back and make changes.
Lastly, the assignment must be submitted via Canvas – do NOT email me your assignment. Assignments submitted via email will not receive any credit.