Muslim Structures And Pilgrimage:Describe the main purpose of the Hajj in the Muslim faith, and identify two (2) specific aspects of the Hajj that you find fascinating or significant
Muslim Structures And Pilgrimage
lease respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Describe the main purpose of the Hajj in the Muslim faith, and identify two (2) specific aspects of the Hajj that you find fascinating or significant. Next, explain the association between Muhammad and the area of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. Lastly, describe the sacred art of Islam’s key qualities, and explain the fundamental reasons why Muslim artists of sacred works are reluctant to include images of humans (i.e., at least in sacred areas). Think of a place of worship (of any religion) today, and explain which type of artistic tradition would be more conducive to worship: Byzantine art (Chapter 8), Hindu art (Chapter 7), or Muslim art (Chapter 9).
Muslim Structures and Pilgrimage
- Chapter 9 (pp. 288-295, 306-308), Dome of the Rock, Hajj, calligraphy, art (pp. 274-7), Christian mosaics in Ravenna; review the Week 5 Music Folder
- National Geographic on the Hajj at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM81wroj_MQ
- Walking tour of Jerusalem’s Dome of the Rock and structures around it at http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200901/al-haram/tour.htm. (Focus on what you wish; the entire tour is lengthy)
- Please be sure to use Template for Discussion Week 5
Minimum of 125 Words
The purpose of the Hajj and two interesting aspects of this event and why interesting to you?
This part should be pretty easy as there is lots of information on the Hajj, check out any of these websites for more information (but remember to write everything in your own words):
Discuss the relationship between Mohammad and the Dome of the Rock:
Again this is a pretty easy concept to assess, just check out this site for further information:
Sacred Art in the Islamic World:
This is probably the most challenging aspect of the discussion this week, try to assess
1. Why Islamic art is relatively free of visual imagery and assess
2. Why they use primarily calligraphy as a sacred art form and then compare it to Christian art, which is very visual.
3.. Why don’t mosques have a lot of paintings and sculptures in them like many Christian churches do?
The Relationship Between Art and Worship: In your own words:
Finally, think about whether or not having lots of visual imagery and music (like many Christian churches do) or a more plain and quiet area (like many mosques and some other Christian groups do) is more conducive to worship. There is really no wrong answer here, just think about it and give me your insights as to why one or the other method you think is preferable.