Online imagery in your workspace.
Often there are more than words or online imagery in your workspace—it might be children or pets or roommates or spouses. It might at times seem like you have information overload—as if you were standing in the middle of Times Square, New York, or Piccadilly Circus, London. Even the most focused and dedicated student can be easily distracted.
Often when focusing on one task, you lose track of others. That is why it is important to have a plan for stepping out of your other roles and into your new role as student. Don’t be tugged by online distractions—keep your place. Staying focused is a professional competency.
You all have multiple roles in life, and maybe “student” is a new role for you. Being engaged in the work requires you to plan, prioritize and create a space where learning takes place; to combat a feeling of selfishness that you might feel.
For this Discussion you will consider how to address distractions you might encounter as a student at Walden.
To prepare for the Discussion:
- Read the Week 2 Notes and Readings, which address life’s distractions.
- Review the article by William, D. K. (n.d.). 10 proven time management skills you should learn today located in this week’s Resources.
- Explore the resources under the Time Management Tool Kit. Make sure to complete the Time Management Tracking Table and at least one additional resource.
- Review the Walden Support Community resources and complete the Walden Support Networks Exercise.
- Review the Discussion Rubric.
What distractions in your life pull your focus away from your new student responsibilities? What concerns do you have about managing these distractions? After completing the Support Network Exercise, what did you learn about your support network?
Develop and share your plan to either obtain the support you need or to grow your current support network to help alleviate some of your distractions. In addition, explore the Walden Support Community and share something you learned to help yourself transition to the role of Walden student.
- Login and access issues
- Video and media issues
- Technical issues with video submissions
- Locating information
- Information regarding courses and the Learning Series