For this essay, you need to write 3‒5 pages in which you explore a topic of your
choosing. You will work with this topic for the research paper as well.
Keep in mind that formal exploratory essays should be question driven, rather than thesis
driven. You should seek to explore a topic and deepen your understanding of it to help you find a
more focused topic for your final research paper. Your Exploratory Essay will not make an
argument. Instead, you will seek to answer the question(s) you develop about the topic. You may
present a potential solution or come to a more specific research question at the end of the paper,
but this should not be present until the conclusion.
You do, however, need to develop a clear question about the topic. To do so, consider the
● What about this topic interests you? Why is the topic important to you?
● Is the topic appropriate for a detailed academic essay? Is there a lot of credible published
research available about the topic?
● What do you already know about the topic? What more do you need to know before you
can develop a specific response or claim to the topic?
● What questions do you have about the topic?
● What specific threads of academic inquiry exist related to the topic? What are researchers
looking at when they write about this topic?
Note: Essays should be well written. They need to follow the standard rules of grammar and
mechanics, and they need to develop cohesive ideas over several paragraphs using a clear
organizational scheme. Your writing needs to be clear, correct, and concise.
Your finished essay should be 3‒5 pages long. Please adhere to the formatting guidelines
in the syllabus. Also, be sure to upload your final draft to Blackboard before class on the due
Your paper must include:
● A title that reflects your topic
● An introduction that defines the topic and question
● At least 5 reputable sources, 3 of which must be peer-reviewed.
● 3-5 full pages of text
● An MLA format works cited page that includes all outside sources and in–text citation.
All assignments for this course must be formatted as follows:
• 12pt Times New Roman font
• Double-spaced (no extra space between paragraphs)
• 1 inch margins
• MLA format compliant
• .doc or .docx format (All assignments MUST be submitted in one of these formats.
Otherwise, I will be unable to grade them)
Note: Please upload your final essay to Blackboard AND bring a printed copy with you to class.