Erosion & Fluvial Processes:How the Earth Was Made: Grand Canyon
Erosion & Fluvial Processes
A. During this week, you learned a lot about different types of mass wasting events (such as landslides, slump, mudflow, creep, etc.). These events happen frequently. Investigate and find a recent example of one of these events that has occurred somewhere worldwide. By recent I mean within the last two years. In your post, summarize the event itself and describe the cause of the event.
Extra Credit Opportunity (optional; worth 2 points) – include images and/or maps (or other media) of the event to enhance your discussion. There are a lot of satellite “before” and “after” images out there that may be interesting to show.
B. As you’ve seen in the video “How the Earth Was Made: Grand Canyon”, the formation of the Grand Canyon is complex. In the Fluvial Systems chapter, you learned about how erosive streams can be. The driving force of the formation of the Grand Canyon is the Colorado River. In your own words, describe how the Colorado River created/carved the Grand Canyon.
Be sure to cite any outside resources using MLA citation format. Your initial post should be a minimum of 250 words. See the “Initial Post Rubric” below for further grading details.
II. For your follow-up post you must respond to at least one of your classmates initial post (worth 5 points). Introduce yourself to them. Provide comments/feedback on what they wrote in their initial post and/or ask questions. Your follow-up post should be thoughtful, through, and aim to generate discussion. You are encouraged to respond to multiple classmates, but the minimum requirement is one. Your follow-up post should be at least 100 words minimum. See the “Follow-Up Post Rubric” below for further grading details.
A few things to keep in mind while completing your assignment:
- Your participation in these online discussions replaces face-to-face class meetings and should be taken just as seriously as traditional class attendance and participation.
- I highly recommend creating your posts in a document processing program (such as Word) first and then copy and paste it into the forum. This will protect your work in case Canvas suddenly quits or you unexpectedly lose your Internet connection.
- Be sure to use complete sentences and remember this is an academic discussion, not a tweet or text message – points will be deducted for incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- You will not be able to view the discussion forum until you have created a post yourself.
- Lastly, keep in mind that copying work word-for-word (whether from an online source, other students, etc.) is unacceptable for college-level work, particularly if it makes up the entirety or bulk of your assignment. I need to be able to evaluate your understanding of the material.