Discuss a leader’s effectiveness using utilitarianism as the ethical decision-making approach in regard to the health care challenges set forth by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.
Effectiveness using utilitarianism
Within the Discussion Board area, write 300-500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
- Discuss a leader’s effectiveness using utilitarianism as the ethical decision-making approach in regard to the health care challenges set forth by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.
- Answers can be in the form of classical utilitarianism, consequentialism, rule consequentialism, or rule utilitarianism.
You are the CEO of a 200-bed acute care facility and are challenged with the mandates of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) 2010. More specifically, you must lead your institution in changing reimbursement processes from fee-for-services to bundled payments.
- In a PowerPoint presentation of 6-8 slides, not including title slide and reference slide and with 100-200-word speaker notes per slide, identify and discuss the best and the least-effective leadership approaches to implement a process change within your finance department.
Your presentation should cover the following points (Lazerow, 2011):
- History of PPACA 2010
- How bundle payments are processed
- How health care facilities price their services
- How this service was established
- What benefits this has for the health care facility
- How physicians and hospitals determine better patient services, lower costs, and increase quality of patient encounters
- Halo or spillover effect
Include the following in your PowerPoint presentation:
- Speaker notes
- Cover page
- References using APA formatting for all citations