Taiwan’s Rampaging Dragon
Case: “Acer, Inc.: Taiwan’s Rampaging Dragon” (p. 60, 7th ed. of the textbook)
- Answer the following questions:
- Management theorists commonly classify managerial styles into several categories, including autocratic, paternalistic, and participative. Based on these three categories, how would you compare and contrast Stan Shih’s management style to that of Leonard Liu? Be sure to defend your position by citing examples from the case. (33 pts)
- Do you think Leonard Liu’s resignation was beneficial for Acer? Why or why not? (33 pts)
- Review all of the types of innovation models (e.g., center-for-global, locally leveraged, etc.) presented in Chapter 5 of the textbook. Which one of these innovation models would you say applies to the development of the Aspire laptop? Be sure to explain why you selected a particular model. (34 pts)
- IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS:
- DO NOT do any additional research outside of what is presented in the case.
Your analysis must be based only on information presented in the case and chapters/notes.
- Answer all questions using complete sentences. Points will be deducted for using a bulleted/numbered list format. NO BULLETS!!!
- DO NOT simply summarize the information already provided in the case, except when using as supporting information for a point you are making.
- Please do not focus on the detailed financial data (balance sheets, etc.) presented in the case. Do not do any in depth financial analyses.
- Answer the questions in a Word doc or PDF. The case analysis must be turned in as a Word doc or PDF file attachment in the Acer Dropbox link in Canvas.
- Please number the question you are answering.
- Please include your name and Panther ID on the title page of your paper. The paper must be in a regular-sized font (e.g. Times New Roman, 12-point).