Designing Compliance within the LAN-to-WAN Domain
Assignment 4: Designing Compliance within the LAN-to-WAN Domain
Due Week 8
Note: Review the page requirements and formatting instructions for this assignment closely. Graphically depicted solutions, as well as the standardized formatting requirements, do NOT count toward the overall page length.
Imagine you are an Information Systems Security Officer for a medium-sized financial services firm that has operations in four (4) states (Virginia, Florida, Arizona, and California). Due to the highly sensitive data created, stored, and transported by your organization, the CIO is concerned with implementing proper security controls for the LAN-to-WAN domain. Specifically, the CIO is concerned with the following areas:
|· Protecting data privacy across the WAN|
· Filtering undesirable network traffic from the Internet
· Filtering the traffic to the Internet that does not adhere to the organizational acceptable use policy (AUP) for the Web
· Having a zone that allows access for anonymous users but aggressively controls information exchange with internal resources
|· Having an area designed to trap attackers in order to monitor attacker activities|
· Allowing a means to monitor network traffic in real time as a means to identify and block unusual activity
· Hiding internal IP addresses
· Allowing operating system and application patch management
The CIO has tasked you with proposing a series of hardware and software controls designed to provide security for the LAN-to-WAN domain. The CIO anticipates receiving both a written report and diagram(s) to support your recommendations.
Write a three to five page paper in which you:
- Use MS Visio or an open source equivalent to graphically depict a solution for the provided scenario that will:
- filter undesirable network traffic from the Internet
- filter Web traffic to the Internet that does not adhere to the organizational AUP for the Web
- allow for a zone for anonymous users but aggressively controls information exchange with internal resources
- allow for an area designed to trap attackers in order to monitor attacker activities
- offer a means to monitor network traffic in real time as a means to identify and block unusual activity
- hide internal IP addresses
- Identify the fundamentals of public key infrastructure (PKI).
- Describe the manner in which your solution will protect the privacy of data transmitted across the WAN.
- Analyze the requirements necessary to allow for proper operating system and application patch management and describe a solution that would be effective.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note:Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Visio or an equivalent such as Dia or OpenOffice. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze information security systems compliance requirements within the Workstation and LAN Domains.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in security strategy and policy formation.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to information technology audit and control using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.