Disadvantaged patients may seek care in emergency rooms because they have nowhere else to receive services..
US Health Care
- Identify a health problem in the US Health Care sector from the list below.
- Prepare a summary document using the required format.
- The table should be single spaced and total no more than 2.5 pages in 11 to 12 point font. Except in the case of titles, use complete sentences, i.e. write using narrative format. Include a cover page and a list of references in APA Format. No more than 15% of direct quotes or paraphrasing are permitted in the document.
- Select from the following health problems. Note only three (3) to four (4) students may select each topic area. The Instructor will establish a conference to sign up these topics. First-come. First-served:
- Tobacco dependency threatens the health of many Americans and it poses a preventable burden to the healthcare system.
- It is not unusual for patients in US hospitals to acquire preventable diseases infections and conditions during their stay in the hospital.
- A growing pool of patients is unable to read and write in the English language. Language is a barrier to effective care delivery as well as patient compliance.
- Elderly and disabled patients with multiple medications are at risk of medication interactions and potential drug safety concerns.
- Veterans may suffer from service-related injuries, both physical and mental health are concerns for the VA.
- Not all medical devices are constructed safely. Patients and providers rely on their safety.
- Health care providers are scarce in certain low-income and rural underserved areas in the US, including Native American territories.
- Disadvantaged patients may seek care in emergency rooms because they have nowhere else to receive services.
- Disadvantaged children often do not have health insurance and do not receive the preventive care (such as vaccines and well-baby check-ups) that can avoid long-term health problems.