Find the demographic breakdown of the two cities and states by searching the U.S. Census Bureau Fac
After reading the chapters and the unit lesson, you can see that statistics are a large part of the criminal justice system, particularly the study of criminal justice. They help us predict crime, analyze crime, and even prevent crime.
In this assignment, you will be using the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) website to find your hometown or the city closest to it that reports to the FBI, as well as to answer questions. UCR Website: https://ucr.fbi.gov/ucr-publications Note: Be sure to click on the most current year, it is always one year behind.
1. Choose two cities, one being where you live currently or the closest city that reports to the FBI and another city from another state.
Describe the cities’ locations, populations, which can be found on the UCR website, and also how long you have lived in the current city, as well as why you chose the second city.
2. First, look at violent crime. How many violent crimes were committed in each city? What was the largest category of property crimes for each? What was the second largest?
3. Now, look at property crime. How many property crimes were committed in each city? What was the largest category for each? What was the second largest?
4. If you were to buy a home in either of these cities, based on violent crime and property crime statistics, which would you choose and why?
5. What conclusions are you able to draw about these two cities based on these statistics? Did anything surprise you?
6. Explain why the UCR can be a relevant data tool for citizens, as well as college students.
7. Find the demographic breakdown of the two cities and states by searching the U.S. Census Bureau Fact Finder here: https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml
8. How could the diversity of these cities relate to the crime rates? Look at the arrest data you collected and compare these data with overall population demographics.
9. Does the diversity of the police department present any challenges or opportunities related and dealing with offenders? Why, or why not?
Explain your opinions. Your essay must be a minimum of two pages in length. All sources must be cited in APA style on a separate reference page. The reference page does not count toward the two-page requirement.