What are your strengths in working with those two groups, and what opportunities exist for growth?
In preparation for this discussion, you completed the Diversity Worksheet, including your own characteristics and what your position within those characteristics implies for your work. Based on what you learned about diversity in this unit and your own work on the Diversity Worksheet, complete the following:
- Choose two of the cultural groups identified on the worksheet. Expand on the detail that you gave in the “Implications for Your Work” column for those two groups. What are your strengths in working with those two groups, and what opportunities exist for growth?
- Reflect generally on how you completed the two columns in the template. What were your “big ideas” or “aha” moments related to how your diversity characteristics apply to your work?
Make a Connection
After responding to the discussion prompt, pose a question or comment on an issue that interests you. This is meant to engage your peers and let them know how they can best support you.
Respond to at least one learner. In your response, ask two or more questions that each post raised for you. Asking questions is an effective way to carry on the discussion in an online environment! Be sure to return to the discussion so you can see the answers to your question; you may have more to add.
Post your initial responses in the discussion area by Thursday at 11:59 p.m. (Central time zone). Comments to other learners’ posts are due by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. (Central time zone).
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Define diversity in an educational setting.
- Determine areas of strength.
- Identify opportunities for improvement.