special issues within the American criminal justice system.
This is your study guide for weeks nine and ten. The topic is on special issues within the American criminal justice system.
You will not be turning in a study guide.
Instead of submitting study questions, you will have two quizzes covering the topics from this study guide. The quizzes will be a total of 20 questions each (matching, T/F, fill in, and multiple choice are possible).
Complete the learning quizzes by:
- Quiz #1 Sunday, November 25th 10 pm – Juvenile Justice & Terrorism
- Quiz #2 Sunday, December 2nd 10 pm – Cyber Crime & Criminal Justice Reform
Topic: Special Issues – Juvenile Justice System
- Chapter 13 textbook
- Know the history of the juvenile justice system
- Highlight the distinctions between delinquency and status – offending behaviors
- Be familiar with police procedures for arresting juveniles and the effects of legal and extralegal factors when making discretionary arrests
- Identify each major stage of the juvenile justice court process, from intake to adjudication and disposition
- Explain the differences among probation, institutional placement, and aftercare for juvenile offenders
- Understand the reasoning and methods of waiver for juveniles to the adult criminal justice system
- Describe what happens to juveniles once they face prosecution in criminal court
- Outline the history of the juvenile death penalty and explain why it was abolished
Topic: Special Issues – Terrorism and Cybercrime
- Chapter 14 textbook
- Know the types of terrorist groups and major terrorist event in recent decades
- Identify how the United States and its allies respond to terrorist groups via the criminal justice system
- Outline the function of and rationale for counterterrorism efforts, the USA Patriot Acts, and related legislation
- Grasp the function of the Department of Homeland Security as a counterterrorism entity
- Place the attacks of September 11, 2001, in historical context and understand the role they played in transforming criminal justice responses to various forms of criminal behavior
- Understand the emerging crimes of cybercrime and identity theft and the ways that the criminal justice system responds to them
Topic: Special Issues – Criminal Justice Reform
- President’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing
- Understand the main the recommendations and ‘pillars’ of the President’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing
- Explain trends in criminal justice reform from the November 2018 midterm election cycle
- Identify areas of potential reform for each of the three main areas of the American criminal justice system: police, courts, and corrections.