Define regular expressions and explain their purpose
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Define regular expressions and explain their purpose.
- Provide at least three (3) examples which demonstrate the way regular expressions work.
- Examine the shortcomings of regular expressions and describe at least two (2) situations where using them might be inappropriate.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow SWS format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and create simple regular expressions.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in operating systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about UNIX / Linux topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.