role in health information exchange (HIE) in a community
RHIOs are comprised of multiple stakeholders. They play a vital role in health information exchange (HIE) in a community. Effective HIE directly impacts implementation of public health standards and efficacy of health programs in a region.
Review the following US government Web sites:
- Health Information Management Systems (HIMSS). (2009). Overview of health information exchange. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/providers-professionals/health-information-exchange/what-hie
- HealthIT.GOV. (n.d.). NwHIN history & background. Retrieved from http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/nwhin-history-background
Then, perform the following tasks:
Task 1: Find and state definitions for the following terms:
- Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Interoperability of health information systems
- Data standards in healthcare
- Health information exchange (HIE)
- Regional Health Information Organization (RHIO)
- National Health Information Network (NHIN)
Task 2: Using the Argosy University online library resources, do the following:
- Examine at least two scholarly references on RHIOs.
- Cite at least one example of how an RHIO improved the standard of healthcare.
Task 3: Analyze how the development of RHIOs will improve the standard of healthcare in the United States. Support your answer with scholarly references.
- Incorporate the definitions for the terms listed in task 1.
- Propose 3–5 data fields, mandatory or variable, that should be included in an HIE database.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.