in-depth analysis of the Midterm Elections
For this assignment you will be doing an in-depth analysis of the Midterm Elections. Your assignment should be in essay format and should answer ALL of the questions below.
The first half of your paper should address the following:
- Briefly summarize the outcome of the Midterm Elections; not the outcome of specific races, but more generally what the overall outcome was (for example, How many seats changed hands, how many Democrats won/ Republicans won? How does this shift the power struggle in DC? Does it change the dynamic of Congress? How? What does it all mean? etc).
- Which specific outcomes/ races seemed to be the most important/ significant? How do those specific races impact the overall outcome of the mid-term elections? Does anything really change because certain candidates won? Be specific here.
The second half of your paper should address the following:
- How well did the media cover the Midterm Elections? Was their coverage fair? Did the media seem to favor one candidate over another in particular races? Did their coverage of a particular candidate or race influence the outcome of that race? This is NOT an opinion question. You must use outside sources/ evidence to answer this question.
- How accurate was polling in the Midterm Elections? Do you think polling influenced the outcome of any particular race either in a positive or a negative way? How well did the media present polling in this election (Meaning did they overplay or underplay polling? To what extent? To what end?)? What should the future of polling be when it comes to elections?
Guidelines for the Assignment:
1. The assignment should be 1000 – 1200 words;
2. Your assignment should be in essay format and should be double-spaced, 12 pt font; this is a FORMAL writing assignment; in addition to the above, you should have both a formal introduction and a conclusion;
- You should have a minimum of 3 sources (NO WIKIPEDIA!);
- Your essay should include both direct and indirect quotes from your sources (my general rule of thumb is at least ONE per paragraph); you can use APA, MLA, or Chicago style formatting but citations MUST be done correctly, or points will be deducted; your assignment MUST include a works cited page;