What is the Relationship between Culture and Identity
DO NOT USE OUTSIDE INFORMATION ON THIS PAPER IT IS STRICTLY ON THE ETHNOGRAPHIC TEXT PROVIDED. THIS IS NOT A SUMMARY! GRAMMAR AND SPELLING ARE CRITICAL
– You will be assessed in terms of your analysis of the similarities and differences between Haiti and Mexico, which will be narrowed down by the topic question of your choosing.
– Topic Question: What is the Relationship between Culture and Identity?
– Answer question: What is the relationship between Identity and Culture in Haiti and Mexico?
– What do I expect to find in your Final Paper?
- An introduction that clearly states your question and a definition of main concepts
- Why you chose your literature sources to address that question
- Your main sources should be the ethnographic texts discussed in class
- Clearly stated similarities and differences between Mexico and Haiti
- References to the texts and pages you are citing or using for your analysis (CHICAGO STYLE AND FOOTNOTES REQUIRED)
Using the text provided state and answer the question “What is the relationship between Identity and Culture” (sources) and how that relationship plays out within marginalized groups in Mexico (The indigenous peoples) and Haiti. In your paper it is important to note the creation of dialects and language such as creole in Haiti and Lengua Reducida amongst the Maya Population, the assimilation by colonial power, and the oppressive notions of society that strip these peoples of their culture/identity in favor of a new one. Remember your paper is a comparison of the two using the text to answer the thesis question; “What is the relationship between Identity and language.”
– How does Identity shape culture? How does a change in identity change their culture?
– Key concepts to note for both groups being discussed will be Language, Religion, and cultural Expression.
Questions to consider while writing- For mexico how does Identity relate to the nation state? In Haiti how does the adoption of creole mark a new Identity for poor Haitians?