What are the problems with the conventional view of banks as intermediaries between savers and borrowers? Discuss focusing on a country of your choice.
IP2039 Essay Questions
- What are the problems with the conventional view of banks as intermediaries between savers and borrowers? Discuss focusing on a country of your choice.
- Focusing on a single country case study, analyse who really creates ‘money’ in the economy.
- Can tools of finance price uncertainty? Answer focusing on either:
a) thebehaviour of the financial markets post-Brexit vote;
b)the reaction of the financial markets to the election of Donald Trump.
- Are bubbles always driven by irrationality? Answer with reference to one of the following:
- The dotcom bubble of 2000-01; b)the 1970s developing economies lending boom; c) house price bubble of your choice.
- What are the endogenous developments in the financial system that have led to the 2007-09 financial crisis?
- What are the limitations of Post-Keynesian analyses of the nature of the 2007-09 crisis?
- What are the limitations of behavioural economic analyses of the 2007-09 crisis?
- What does Minsky’s notion of Ponzi finance suggest about the sources of financial fragility today? Answer focusing on one of the following: a) the collapse of Parmalat in 2003; b) the collapse of Enron in 2001; c) the Russian default of 1998.
- Critically analyse Chandler’s theory of the M-Corporation with regard to a transnational corporation of your choice. Is the theory relevant today?
- How relevant is the theory of transaction cost economics today? Answer with regard to a case study of a firm of your choice.
- Identifying an area of activity or a sector that can be understood as a club good, critically discuss the relevance of club good theory.
- Identifying a relevant resource, critically analyse the relevance of the CPR theory.
- In what sense can we think of the firm as a political actor? Discuss focusing on a bank or a corporation of your choice.