concepts of conformity, obedience, and social power
our Week 5 Learning Resources provide information on three different cults and their leaders in recent U.S. history: Jim Jones and the People’s Temple, David Koresh and the Branch Davidians, and Marshall Applewhite and Heaven’s Gate. You are encouraged to choose one as the focus of your Assignment. Additional Learning Resources provide insights on the dynamics of a cult.For your focus leader and group, think about how each may exemplify the concepts of conformity, obedience, and social power:
- How the leader builds a “culture” with its own rules outside of the larger culture
- What elements compel followers to conform, such as charisma, isolation, and/or fear
Submit a 2 – to 3-page research paper in which you do the following:
- Describe the leader and followers who are the subject of your analysis.
- Analyze how the leader created a distinct “culture” for followers and what elements of a culture were present in the setting.
- Analyze how the leader used social power to influence followers.
- Analyze elements that created conformity and obedience among the followers.
- Explain how your chosen leader’s use of social influence applies to the leaders in your culture (e.g., local, academic, political, or other types of leaders you identify).