Case Study 1: Disaster Recovery
Due Week 2 and worth 110 points
Read the following articles:
- “If data is the new oil, then Equifax just caused a huge environmental disaster.” From https://www.csoonline.com/article/3228887/data-breach/if-data-is-the-new-oil-then-equifax-just-caused-a-huge-environmental-disaster.html
- “Using Credit Reporting Agency Data To Assess the Link Between the Community Reinvestment Act and Consumer Credit Outcomes.” From https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/cityscpe/vol19num2/ch7.pdf
- “Managing in a Post-9/11, Post Katrina World: An Introduction to a Disaster-recovery Planning for Technical Communicators” (Located in the course shell.)
- “Recovering from Database Recovery: Case Studies and the Lessons They Teach” (Located in the course shell.)
Note: Include these four (4) articles in your references section. These four (4) articles do not count towards the required number of references.
After reading these articles, consider the following:
- The need for an organization to have a disaster recovery plan.
- How the attacks of September 11, 2001 affected Barclay’s Capital and Putman Investments. Did that impact Equifax disaster recovery plan? How?
- Whether or not Equifax had a disaster recovery plan. If so, what were the parts of the plan that allowed it to continue operations? If not, what should a disaster recovery plan have included in order to continue operations?
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Identify the steps an organization should take to recover from a disaster and resume the business operations to normal mode
- Suggest two (2) methods that organizations can use in order to mitigate the risk of data loss
- Suggest two (2) methods that organizations can use in order to minimize the impact on personnel after a disaster
- Examine Equifax situation. Determine two (2) factors that contributed to a successful disaster recovery and two (2) factors that hindered a successful disaster recovery for the organization
- Use at least three (3) quality references published within the past  year in this assignment
Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the challenges of computer security, including different threats and types of attacks
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in cryptography published within the past  year
- Write clearly and concisely about cryptography using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.