PLEASE ANSWER EACH QUESTION IN AT LEAST 75 WORDS A PIECE:
- Since the Columbine Tragedy in 1999, school shootings seem to be discussed in the media frequently as if they are a recent phenomenon, yet they are not a new occurrence. In Andrew Karmen’s “Crime Victims: An Introduction to Victimology” you will see Figure 11.1 on p. 384 shows a graph of K-12 homicides in the U.S. and Box 11.1 on p. 388 provides a list of some of the worst college campus shootings.
Is there anything that surprises you about these graphs? What is it?
According to what you have learned so far, would campus shootings count as terrorism? Why or why not?
Choose any of the incidents of a school shooting (any grade level), and search the internet for any information you can find on the offenders and the victims of that incident. Answer the following questions: Were there any warning signs that the suspects displayed prior to the incident? What support was provided to the victims or their families from the school and/or government? What legislation has been enacted, either locally or federally, to further protect citizens, deal with offenders of this type of violence, and/or provide services for victims?
- We have read about and discussed several topics and theories of victimization. Write a final reflection of any concepts that have surprised you, topics or theories that you feel are valuable to the study of victims and victimization, and what you feel is the most beneficial way to repay/repair victims of violence. What laws do you feel have been most influential to address the ongoing issue of victimization? What laws would you like to see (if you were in charge of legislature)?
- Many towns and small cities have Web sites that they use to interact with their citizens. Describe three departments that should be included on the home page of a small town’s Web site and describe the citizen interactions that should be facilitated by the site for each department. If you were designing the web site – what else would you include? Give examples of how it would benefit the community and its members.
- Assume you are working for a company that sells music online. The marketing department would like to send e-mails to customers who have purchased music from the Web site. These e-mails would use information about the genres of music customers have purchased in the past and would offer those discounts on new releases in those genres. Discuss your thoughts/feelings about marketing managers using an opt-in statement for permission to send such emails that would appear when customers make their first purchase. Should all businesses/organizations have the opt-in statement? Or should they only have an opt-out statement in which you are automatically enrolled unless you accept/check the out-out statement?
- Using the Web or other resources, find an article that describes a successful Web service(s) software and the hardware necessary to support this application. Describe how the company implemented Web service(s) software and hardware and explain why using this combination of software and hardware is better than using an alternative approach to solve the problem.
- Assume you are working for a medium-sized company that sells products on its Web site and that the company keeps the computers that run its Web server, database server, and transaction processing server in the office next to yours. Describe what a biometric security device is and explain how your employer might use one to more of these devices to protect its servers.
- Explain why IT projects (such as Web site development or redesign) are less likely to be delivered on time and within budget than large building construction projects. Include a discussion of how project management software can help IT project managers achieve their goals.
- Review and reflect on what you learned in the above questions. What is the most practical and easily applied lesson you learned? What was the hardest to grasp? Why? What else do you need to know about E-Business?