- Reflect on the following social media scenario:
You are reading posts in your favorite social media site, when you come across a post by a 19-year-old male. He writes that he was raped at a party last night and he’s afraid they will post pictures of it online. He is contemplating suicide. You notice three types of behaviors in the comments to him:
- a. A small group of individuals are using profanity and belittling him. They are encouraging him to commit suicide
- b. A larger group of individuals are making supportive comments and providing the number for a crisis help line.
- c. Many of his online followers have not responded to his post.
- Think about how social psychology theories or principles could be applied to explain the types of comments made to the 19-year-old in the scenario.
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Describe the impact of social context on conformity, obedience, and helping behaviors.
- Explain how social psychology theories or principles could be applied to account for each of the responses in the scenario (e.g., which principles/theories could explain response type A; which principles/theories could explain response type B, and so on). Be sure to support your assertions with scholarly content.
- Provide at least one recommendation to help reduce the derogatory comments or increase the number of supportive comments in the scenario, based on what you have learned about social psychology.