Evidence Based Practice
Assignment 2: Evidence Based Practice
According to the Council on Social Work Education, Competency 4: Engage In Practice-informed Research and Research-informed Practice:
Social workers understand quantitative and qualitative research methods and their respective roles in advancing a science of social work and in evaluating their practice. Social workers know the principles of logic, scientific inquiry, and culturally informed and ethical approaches to building knowledge. Social workers understand that evidence that informs practice derives from multi-disciplinary sources and multiple ways of knowing. They also understand the processes for translating research findings into effective practice. Social workers:
- Use practice experience and theory to inform scientific inquiry and research;
- Apply critical thinking to engage in analysis of quantitative and qualitative research methods and research findings; and
- Use and translate research evidence to inform and improve practice, policy, and service delivery.
This assignment is intended to help students demonstrate the behavioral components of this competency in their field education.
- Assess the population(s) served by the agency. My agency works with at risk youth and their families in Indiana. The at risk youth and/or their families are referred to my agency by the Indiana Department of Child Services due to reports of child abuse and/or neglect. My agency provides Parenting classes, Father Engagement classes, mental health therapy, supervised visitation, and home-based case management services to our clients.
- Conduct extensive research regarding the agency’s client population.
- Use at least 5 peer-reviewed resources.
- Discover “evidenced based practices” that are most effective while working with clients served within the population.
The Assignment: Create a 10-12 slide PowerPoint Presentation, where you will explain the following:
- Population researched
- Best evidenced based practices modalities used to engage the population
- Current modalities used in the agency
- Briefly discuss and suggest to methods of implementing evidence-based practices in the agency
- Analyze the findings from the articles you researched
Note: You are expected to use a minimum of five references. References should be from 2013-2019.