Identify significant cultural developments from a variety of historical eras
Identify a list of twenty significant cultural developments from the past. Write 8 pages in which you evaluate the developments’ significance in history and to your everyday life.
This assessment allows you to demonstrate your ability to think critically about the past and to understand its significance to modern life.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe the historical
development of the humanities from the pre-historic era to the present.
- Identify significant cultural developments from a variety of historical eras.
- Assess the influence of past expressions of the humanities on present-day life.
- Competency 2: Examine the forms of
expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
- Describe the forms of expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
- Competency 3: Integrate the
humanities with everyday life.
- Explain how the arts and humanities affect everyday life.
- Assess the role of philosophical, religious, and aesthetic values in everyday life.
- Competency 4: Communicate effectively
in forms appropriate to the humanities.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
For this assessment, complete the following:
- Compile a list of twenty significant
cultural developments from the past. You may use the Personal Significance activities (linked in the
Resources under the Capella Multimedia heading) to help assemble this list:
- Describe the cultural developments you noted and then evaluate their application to modern life.
- Notice any compelling themes here. Are there any common themes or persistent forms of expression, or especially vital historical periods among your choices? Think about what the items you selected say about who you are and what gives your life meaning.
- Consider how these developments
impact your everyday life in a personal way. The cultural background of
humanities disciplines provide some structure, of course, but what really
matters are your own feelings, perceptions, thoughts, and decisions.
- How does an understanding of the humanities impact your life?
- How do you integrate the philosophical, religious, and aesthetic values of the humanities into daily living?
This essay will be an intensely personal one; make it a worthwhile exercise.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 8 typed and double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.