Kartini, Feminism and Nationalism in Java
Week 1 Forum
Read article “Kartini, Feminism and Nationalism in Java” in Chapter 16. Answer the following questions with 300 words TOTAL for the assignment free of grammatical and spelling errors. Then respond to two classmates with three to five complete sentences.
1. In what ways was Kartini’s life shaped by living at the intersection of Javanese and European worlds?
2. How was her marriage different and/or the same from marriages today?
3. What influenced the feminism movement according to this article?
Any outside sources must be documented in APA format.
Week 2 Forum
Read article “Controversies: Debating “Why Europe?” in Chapter 17. Answer the following questions with 300 words total for the assignment. Respond to two classmates with two to five sentences in paragraph form.
1. How was Europe’s Industrial Revolution different from the U.S.?
2. How might your understanding of the Industrial Revolution change if you subscribed tot eh “European Miracle,” the “Great Divergence,” or the “Trade and Empire” school of thought?
3. How does this overview of the “Why Europe?” debate shape your understanding of the Industrial Revolution?
Week 3 Forum
Based on what we have covered and you have read in Chapter 18, answer the following questions with 300 words total for the assignment. Respond to two classmates with three to five sentences in paragraph form.
- In what ways did colonial rule rest on violence and coercion, and in what ways did it elicit voluntary cooperation or generate benefits for some people?
- In what respects were colonized people more than victims of colonial conquest and rule? To what extent could they act in their own interests within the colonial situation?
- Was colonial rule a transforming, even a revolutionary, experience, or did it freeze or preserve existing social and economic patterns? What evidence can you find to support both sides of this argument?
- How would you compare the colonial experience of Asian and African peoples during the long nineteenth century to the earlier colonial experience in the Americas?
Week 4 Forum
Read article “Lin Zexu, Confronting the Opium Trade” in Chapter 19. Answer the following questions with 300 words total for the assignment. Respond to two classmates with three to five sentences in paragraph form.
1. How might Lin Zexu have handled his task differently or more successfully? Or had he been given an impossible mission?
2. Why was the opium trade so important in China? Why was the Chinese emperor trying to suppress it in 1838?
3. Why was Europe so important in the trade?
Week 5 Forum
Read article “Zooming In: Hiroshima.” Answer the following questions with 300 words total for the assignment. Respond to two classmates with three to five sentences in paragraph form.
1. How might you define both the short- and long-term outcomes of the Hiroshima bombing?
2. How might you assess the impact to the people?
3. What were the different perspectives of dropping the atomic bombs, i.e. American and Japanese?
(please give me two responses for each)
What are the benefits of thinking critically? Give a specific example to illustrate your point and respond to four of your classmates.
Complete the Metacognitive Awareness Inventory. State your lowest scoring category, and identify two things you can do to improve that score.
Create a learning strategies plan to address weaknesses identified by the metacognition awareness inventory survey. Respond to four other students.