Week 6 Discussion 2: Deceptive Arguments
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 6
- Link (library article——see attachment
- Link (library article): see attachment
- Apply the following writing resources to your posts:
Initial Post Instructions
Part 1: Research & Review
Review the two articles in Required Resources on the uses of logical fallacies and rhetorical appeals in the healthcare field.
The Krishen and Bui (2015) article discusses the active use of logical fallacies to manipulate obese consumers into making better health choices through two oppositional approaches: fear tactics and positive reinforcement.
The Giachino, Stupino, Peratulo, and Bertoldi (2017) article presents a study of fear tactics applied through social advertising, similar to the ads we discussed in our Week 3 discussion boards. Students were exposed to fear advertising in an attempt to reduce high speed driving.
Part 2: Application
Apply what you have learned about logical fallacies and rhetorical appeals to interpret and summarize the articles. Consider the following questions:
- If the participants are aware of misleading manipulation techniques, are they immune to their effects?
- What are the limitations of these types of fear inducing tactics?
- How would you react if you were a subject in one of these studies?
- What can we take away from these articles to apply in our own topics?
- Where else have you seen these types of fear tactics applied (e.g., advertising, social media, word of mouth, etc.)? Are these other mediums effective? Why is that the case?