Information about the author: what makes this author credible and reliable? What is their background on the issue? Does their background give them special authority to discuss their topic?
Instructions for Annotated Bibliography (6-8 pages)
Your annotated bibliography is due Friday, March 8, by the beginning of class.
Annotations help you to think closely and critically about the sources you are using for your paper. For this assignment, you should compile 6 sources, 4 of which MUST be scholarly, giving a close reading and analysis of each. Your annotations should be listed alphabetically and cited according to MLA standards (see Chapter 45 of EasyWriter). This assignment usually comes to 6-8 pages in length.
The purpose of this assignment is to show that you have thoughtfully considered the sources that you are using for your research paper and that each serves a specific purpose in your project. You should be as clear and specific as possible in writing them up. This will help provide a foundation for understanding the current conversation about the topic you are exploring, as well as how you want to add to that conversation. In other words, a well-constructed Annotated Bibliography will help you to refine and develop your thesis.
Components of the Annotated Bibliography:
- Information about the author: what makes this author credible and reliable? What is their background on the issue? Does their background give them special authority to discuss their topic?
- Information about type of source itself: is it scholarly or non-scholarly? If it is a popular source, what type of popular source is it? Is it written for a specific audience?
- A summary of the article as a whole: what is this article about? What are key ideas that the author discusses? What year was the article published and how does this inform how it will fit in your paper?
- A specific description of how you plan on using this source in your paper: what about this source is important for your paper and how do you plan to incorporate the source in meaningful, substantive ways? Be as specific as possible!
You will be graded on how comprehensively you answer each of these questions regarding each of your sources.
Format and Submitting Work:
- All written work should be submitted in Microsoft Word-compatible format files, and
sent to me by email.
- Use 1″ margins on all sides.
- Use a standard, easy-to-read font, such as Times New Roman 12.
- Use double spacing.
- Do not use a title page. Instead, type your title in upper and lowercase letters centered in
the upper half of the first page of your assignment.
- Include a page number (flush right) on every page of your assignment except the first
- On the first page, include instead a double-spaced heading in the upper left corner. This
heading should include your name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date, e.g.,