You are applying to the Beginning Ranching Program to secure funding to start your own grazing livestock operation. The application requires you outline a plan the contains the following
You are applying to the Beginning Ranching Program to secure funding to
start your own grazing livestock operation. The application requires
you outline a plan the contains the following:
A. Overview of the Land
1. Where is it located and size (map)
<link is hidden> /> 3. Topography & soil characteristics
4. Vegetation composition, production, nutritional value of forage by grazing area (map)
5. Water availability and distribution (map)
6. Existing infrastructure (map)
7. Available wildlife habitat and wildlife use (map)
8. Benefits and challenges in terms of a grazing livestock operation and how they will be addressed or optimized
B. Livestock Operation
<link is hidden> of operation(s) and why
2. Breed(s) and why
3. Well health plan for species
<link is hidden> plan if applicable
5. Operating Budget for Livestock
6. Wildlife interface (predation, disease transmission)
C. Grazing Management
1. Grazing management plan (duration, intensity, frequency, and season) (map). You must account for slope and distance to water. I attached How- to guide for all things of grazing calculation.
2. Stocking rate(s) for each grazing area with consideration of dietary overlap (dietary overlap graph)
3. Distribution issues by pasture and how they will be addressed
4. Utilize targeted grazing to maintain or improve ecological health
here’s the land I chose for this assignment:
Land Choice 1: 1500 acres of Colorado Front Range High Plains
MLRA 67B Central High Plains, Southern Part is located in eastern Colorado. It is comprised of rolling plains and river valleys. Some canyon lands occur in the southeast portion.
you’ll see more information from attachments (Ecological site description (ESD)
Please download Google Earth Pro on your desktop
here’s the link: <link is hidden> /> And use Google Earth Pro to create a polygon of your selected site, please use this to do it if you see (map) here’s the link to show you how to do it.
<link is hidden> />
Additional Instructional Notes
<link is hidden> will need to identify a SPECIFIC area if you are selecting one of the land choices above. You can do this using Google Earth.
2. You will use Google Earth to take a screen shot of your specific area of interest. You will use this screenshot to create maps for your proposal.
3. You will want to gather data from Web Soil Survey (WSS) about your selected area
WSS will identify ecological sites for your specific area. If you chose one of the areas above the ecological sites may be in addition to the ESD provided above. If you are using your own area you will want to get an ESD for it. (If one does not exist for your site please let me know.)
<link is hidden> plan should be of a professional proposal quality. Meaning its well-organized and well-written. It should have a cover page, table of contents, executive summary, proposal body with headers and sub-headers as appropriate, and a cited works and an appendix if necessary. I am not requiring you to include citations, but if you propose something from literature I expect it to be cited.