FACILITATE THE EMPOWERMENT OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY
For this assessment, you will need to perform the following tasks. These tasks will need to be completed and submitted in a professional, word processed, format. Each task must be 500 words minimum in length.
For this task you are to discuss a time you have facilitated the empowerment of a person with a disability. Use the following points as guidelines for your discussion:
- Reflect on your personal values and attitudes regarding disability and acknowledge their potential impact when working in disability contexts, and discuss how you developed and adjusted your own approaches to facilitate empowerment
- Briefly and respectfully describe your client and their disability, ensuring that you follow all required organisational and legislation confidentiality procedures
- How you demonstrated commitment to empowerment for the client, including ways society affects the level of impairment experienced by the client
- How you fostered human rights, including identifying any cultural needs of the client and ensuring they are upheld, the services you delivered that ensured the rights and needs of the client are upheld
- If you identified any breaches of human rights or identified indications of possible abuse and/or neglect, and if so, the process you followed to report these instances according to organisation procedures
- How you facilitated choice and self-determination, including how you used a person-centred approach, how you worked in in a manner to acknowledge the client as their own expert, how you facilitated person-centred options for action on relevant issues, how you provided assistance to the client to facilitate communication of their personal goals, how you empowered the client to make their own choices and how ensured that the client was comfortable with any decisions that were made on their behalf and
- Please also discuss if you assisted the client with accessing advocacy services and other complaint mechanisms
If you have not previously facilitated the empowerment of people with disability, please complete this task after completing your observation activity.
For this task your learning group must split up the following points of interest and each member must complete a report at least one topic. All topics on the list must be researched. Once you have completed your own report, the learning group will meet and each member will present their findings to the rest of the group. While other members of your learning group are reporting you should be taking notes of the important information they have learned.
The research topics are:
The following questions may be answered verbally with your assessor or you may write down your answers. Please discuss this with your assessor before you commence. Short Answers are required which is approximately 4 typed lines = 50 words, or 5 lines of handwritten text.
Your assessor will take down dot points as a minimum if you choose to answer them verbally.
Answer the following questions either verbally with your assessor or in writing.
- How does the disability services Act 1993 explain disability?
- What are the main categories of disability you may encounter when working in the community services industry?
- What is the theory of social constructs of disability?
- What is the suggested course of action for dealing with ethical dilemmas?
- What are three methods you can employ to develop and adjust your own approaches to facilitating empowerment?
- What steps can you take to foster human rights?
- List four strategies for assist people with disabilities to exercise their rights and support
- What does a person-centred approach include?
- There are a range of different activities that may result in breaches to the human rights that are allowable to a person with a disability. List six.
- What are some of the indicators of harm, neglect, abuse or risk of harm?
- What steps can you take to facilitate choice and self-determination?
- What are the three main components to active communication?
- What are some of the common obstacles when working with the families of people with disabilities?
- Who are some of the relevant people who may be involved in developing skill development and maintenance plans?
- What is informed consent?
- List four advocacy actions for people with a disability