SUPPORT COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION AND SOCIAL INCLUSION
For this assessment you will need to perform the following and submit in a professional, word processed, format. For the questions you are required to provide long answers of approximately 8 typed lines which equals 100 words
You will use your workplace client assessment documents to complete part of this activity.
1. For this task you are required to produce a poster or flyer appropriate for display in a community service facility which identifies at least four different opportunities for community participation and social inclusion for people with disabilities, in your local area.
For each of the opportunities you have identified for community participation, describe the interests, abilities and requirements that are associated with the activities, as well as any other information that interested clients would like to know.
Also note if there are any cultural and religious needs that may impact on participating in the opportunity.
- Identify four barriers you may come across for each opportunity identified. Detail a strategy to address and monitor the identified barriers.
2. Identify a client you currently support who has complex needs. If you do not currently support clients, create a fictional character for this activity. Give a brief description of your client including:
- Support needs
- Behaviour of concern (if any)
- Cultural/religious affiliation
- Give 3 examples of services, activities or groups in your local community that your client may benefit from. Provide the details of each including a description of each service, its contact information as well as how you came to decide each activity/group was suitable to your client.
- Identify for each service you have chosen, the additional requirements you may need to organise in order for your client’s to access these specific services.
- Identify any barriers your client
may have with each of the services identified.
- In what ways could you address these barriers in order for your client to be able to participate?
- How will you determine if these strategies have worked, and if they haven’t, what would you do?
- Detail any considerations to the activities you may need to be aware of in order to support the client’s cultural needs or religion.
- Explain the importance of collaboration with the client in situations such as these.
- Explain how the client’s individualised plan should be used when identifying and implementing activities and services for your client.
- Document the strategies you used to encourage and assist the inclusion of your client in external activities and programs.
- Describe why feedback would be an important part of the process. Include the key people involved in the feedback process, and why.
- Detail using your organisation’s policies and procedures, how you would review the entire process from start to finish.
- Specific to this client, in what circumstances might you need to seek assistance or expert advice?
- Why do you think it is important for your client to be socially involved and included?
The following questions may be answered verbally with your assessor or you may write down your answers. Please discuss this with your assessor before you commence. Short Answers are required which is approximately 4 typed lines = 50 words, or 5 lines of handwritten text.
Your assessor will take down dot points as a minimum if you choose to answer them verbally.
Answer the following questions either verbally with your assessor or in writing.
- How does the World Health Organisation define disability?
- List the name and address of ten different government information websites you can use to find information on resources and services for people with disabilities.
- Identify three cultural barriers you may encounter when supporting community participation and social inclusion.
- What strategies can you implement to encourage community participation and inclusion according to your client’s individualised plan?
- What is a community access plan?
- How can you assist your client in forming one-to-one connections and relationships?
- Discuss the different types of feedback you can collect. Who should you collect feedback from any why?
- What principles are important to observe and practice when implementing an Individualised Support Plan?
- Why is it important to monitor an Individualised Support Plan?
- In what ways can you find out about barriers that may be affecting your clients during programs and activities? What is the best course of action to attempt to overcome them?
- List four strategies you could help to implement to assist a high functioning person you support to manage a transport system.
- Give your understanding of the rights and responsibilities of a person with disability. Where can you find out more information on human rights of clients?
- What is active citizenship? How does this have an impact on your job role?
- In what ways can the family or carers of the people you support, be some of the most important working relationships for your work role?
- For what reasons might you need to get someone else involved when encouraging community participation and inclusion with your clients?
- What is the process for review of your client’s goals, as dictated in their individualised plan?
- How would you find out about the types of social activities your clients might want to link in to? What personal information might assist you with the selection of activities?
- What services might you need to access to assist with community participation or activities for the clients you support?