What role does cultural awareness play in the counseling process? What are some methods for enhancing your cultural awareness?
Week 5 Questions
Answers should be at least 100-175 words and reflect critical thought. Whenever possible, please try to relate the course content to real-world applications from your work experience. Be sure to cite all sources as well. Provide citation and reference to the material(s) you discuss alongside the question.
- What role does cultural awareness play in the counseling process? What are some methods for enhancing your cultural awareness?
- implicit bias will certainly have a negative impact on the client and the treatment as well. The most difficult aspect of implicit bias is that it is so hard for the person to see it. When I have an implicit bias, I am not aware of it. I might think that I am thinking, working, and practicing in a very inclusive and culturally competent manner, however, implicit bias – derived from my own cultural understanding, education, experiences, etc. – is influencing my work in subtle and covert ways. My words and conduct can be kind, caring, and compassionate and still be influenced by the implications of implicit bias. Implicit bias is not overtly nefarious, rather it is draped in the cloak of political correctness and cultural awareness. So the challenging question is, how can we know our own implicit bias when it is so well hidden from and outside of our own awareness?
- I think that this is a great strategy and I appreciate you recognizing that it is probably best to begin by gaining a better understanding of the cultural experiences and implications of those who are in your own community and who you would be most likely to work with. Another way to help gain in increased understanding is through cultural immersion experiences. Attending local cultural events can be a great way to gain perspective and understanding. Sometimes this could involve attending a fair, a community event that is located in a culturally diverse part of the community, attending a culturally diverse church services, etc. Do you think that this might be something that you could do, and do you think it might be beneficial in helping you build cultural awareness and competency? Why or why not?
- We have been studying the importance of cultural awareness and how it applies to the counseling context. However, it is possible that individuals may not closely align with their culture of origin. With this in mind, how may an individual’s cultural perspective differ from their individual culture?
Review this week’s course materials and learning activities, and reflect on your learning so far this week. Respond to one or more of the following prompts in one to two paragraphs:
- Provide citation and reference to the material(s) you discuss. Describe what you found interesting regarding this topic, and why.
- Describe how you will apply that learning in your daily life, including your work life.
- Describe what may be unclear to you, and what you would like to learn.
Students need to contribute two substantive posts in this discussion by the due date indicated. The substantive posts can be any combination of responses and replies.