The Comparative Method
Many theorists argued that capitalism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries gave rise to the welfare state. Do you think capitalism will lead further increases in the welfare state in the twenty-first century?
This semester you will be required to submit a case study analysis using the Comparative Method. You will use this same analysis in your term paper. Due date: March 12, 2019 Length: The case study analysis should be 2 pages including your MSS/MDS table. Citing: You must cite a source for every major fact or statement. Here is an outline of what your case-study assignment should include: 1. Research question: You will pick one of the 5 term paper topics provided in page 4. 2. Identify your independent and dependent variables. Tell me your outcome (Y variable). Then, tell me what you suspect to be the cause (X variable) of the outcome. 3. The causal link Explain how your independent variable explains you dependent variable. 4. Case Study Analysis Do a case study using the Comparative Method (MSS or MDS) to test your theory and to see whether the cause you suspected is correct. Your case can be a country, person, organization, event, etc… But I recommend using countries. You must use at least two cases. Tell me why you have chosen these countries and how they fit the Comparative Method (e.g., if you are doing MSS, how are they a good example of that? If MDS, do the same thing.). Make sure to use a table like I did in class to present your case study. 5. Conclusions Based on the comparative case study that you have done, what conclusions can you draw on the causal link you proposed in section 3. Does your comparative case study support your causal claims? 6. References Make sure to properly quote any source and provide a reference on an additional sheet of paper (this is NOT part of your 2 pages). 4 Paper
Topics: Choose one topic from below.
1. Many theorists argued that capitalism in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries gave rise to the welfare state. Do you think capitalism will lead further increases in the welfare state in the twenty-first century?
2. Development can be measured in many ways, starting with economic growth. What is the biggest concern for how development might be worsened as economic growth improves? State the nature of the concern and how and why this concern might be caused by economic growth.
3. Consider the market-based and state-centered approaches to political economy. When it comes to economic performance of countries, which appears to have the strongest evidence supporting it?
4. Lipset and the team of Inglehart and Welzel believe that economic development and democracy are linked, but they disagree as to the nature of this relationship. Articulate each argument. How you think democracy and development are related?
5. Under what conditions would you expect a well-established democracy to breakdown and move toward authoritarian rule? Discuss what the existing theories say about democratic breakdown and determine whether you these conditions existing in any advanced democracies today.