Were Madison’s efforts to do the above successful or not successful? Why?
Read Beschloss, (pages 7-35 in the Supplemental Reader). Pay close attention to those
parts of the reading that helps us to better understand how President Madison handled being President. Give specific attention to how Madison interacted with other parts of government, the American people, foreign agents, the media, and the Constitution.
2. How would you characterize Madison’s attempts to gain power (for himself or the State), exercise that power (various dimensions of politics and government), and build national identity?
3. Were Madison’s efforts to do the above successful or not successful? Why?
4. Was the War of 1812 a sign of Madison’s success or failure? Why?
5. Did Madison succeed or fail because of..
a. what he brought to the office?
b. the limitations and options given by his office?
c. how he built his power and exercised his power?
d. the challenges faced by any nation-state trying to protect and advance the
interests of its citizens in a world that is full of potential violence.
6. What could Madison have done differently? (Extra Credit if you can compare Madison to
the British Prime Minister in the UK series House of Cards (Find the videos in Blackboard, under Media Library – view them in the order given)
Don’t just answer the questions like a list. Write an essay with an intro, a body, and a conclusion.