THE EXERCISEIs to demonstrate critical thinking ability, and skills in relating theory or concepts that we study with phenomena or issues observed outside. Students may be wisely expansive or practical….
Discuss the three landmarks that you consider most important to the phenomenon known as the Protestant Reformation
- Compare and contrast the teachings of Jesus and Buddha. What are some main differences between Buddhism and Christianity, Judaism, and Islam?
- How might Jesus have responded to the following line from the Buddha’s sermons: “… he in whom self has become extinct … will desire neither worldly nor heavenly pleasures”? How might the Buddha have responded to the following line from the Sermon on the Mount: “You must … be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect”?
- How would Augustine of Hippo respond to Buddhism’s Four Noble Truths? How would a Roman stoic respond to the Truths?
- What powers and authority did the Church exercise in medieval society?
- Illustrate and provide support for the ways in which the Church played both a religious and secular role in medieval society.
- How could we apply the ideas of the Renaissance to our own times and create a rebirth in our own communities?
- What would this rebirth look like? Provide specific examples using your city. Please make sure to address the role of the arts in your answer.
- Discuss the three landmarks that you consider most important to the phenomenon known as the Protestant Reformation. Why and how were these significant?
- Which have most deeply influenced and/or survived into our own time?