Description: Personal reflections provide an opportunity for you to expand your knowledge by writing out your thoughts, experiences and questions regarding a particular subject. It is an interactive engagement between….
Essay. Lessons in Public Speaking: Two women of very different backgrounds and language skills gave effective speeches in the cause of abolition
The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, history, or literature, with important examples and themes that still resonate today for one’s professional or personal life. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you already are!
Read the topic carefully.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that responds to each of the items described in the topic.
- Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the things listed.
- The listed topics each have a certain presentation format or writing genre with it (video, essay, poem, etc), and each topic involves looking at a distinct form of presentation (oral speech, novel, visual art, poetry, etc. And each topic involves some sort of challenge or theme that is relevant to modern work and life. Be creative and admire the creativity of others.
- Follow the instructions below for what sources to use and what formatting to use in layout and referencing. Avoid sources that are not good academic quality for college writing (Wikipedia is one example).
- TOPIC: Essay. Lessons in Public Speaking: Two women of very different backgrounds and language skills gave effective speeches in the cause of abolition. Read the speeches and the background of them. Angelina Grimke Weld’s speech in Philadelphia in 1838: http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/grimke.html ; the background of that speech is at http://eloquentwoman.blogspot.com/2016/09/famous-speech-friday-angelina-grimkes.html . Sojourner Truth’s famous 1851 speech and its background: https://www.nps.gov/articles/sojourner-truth.htm . Also see background in chapter 29 (p. 963) of our class text. Then write an essay that includes the following:
- Biographical information for each woman, emphasizing elements especially relevant to the speeches.
- Describe the obstacles and limitations each faced that normally would hinder the making of these speeches.
- Using specific lines, show or illustrate effective speaking methods that helped them connect to the audience.
- Describe two lessons you learn from these examples that could be of value to you for communications in your professional life.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.