This assignment is an academic essay in which you will choose either one media outlet, one journalistic beat or one specific journalist or group of journalists. Your piece will chronicle….
According to Kumar why is it so difficult to challenge the beating and killing of women by their husbands in India?
GSWS 102 Feminist Action
Assignment E – Kumar reading
This is a chapter from Kumar, R. 1993. The History of Doing, Kali for Women, New Dehli.
Read the questions before the article – this is a useful practice. Read actively – you may need to use your answers/other aspects of the reading in the final assessment.
- According to Kumar why is it so difficult to challenge the beating and killing of women by their husbands in India?
- What is a dowry? Which contemporary feminist movement first campaigned against dowries, and when?
- What methods did activists in India use to demonstrate against dowries?
- How did the authorities eventually react positively to dowry demonstrations?
- What is Stri Sangharsh?
- In their analysis of Stri Sangharsh argued that dowries are liquid capital but that the groom does not become the property of the bride. What did they show in their exhibition on dowry murders?
- What reasons were given to the Mahila Dakshata Samiti for women not leaving such marriages?
- Section 498-A of the Indian Penal Code states what?
- How was the Evidence Act amended that pleased feminists?
10.According to Kumar, what is fascinating about the anti-dowry movement in India?