This assignment is an academic essay in which you will choose either one media outlet, one journalistic beat or one specific journalist or group of journalists. Your piece will chronicle….
Nurses need highly developed assessment skills. Discuss two strategies that you will use to ensure that you acquire, practise and retain the relevant skills and related knowledge to support your nursing practice?
- Nurses need highly developed assessment skills. Discuss two strategies that you will use to ensure that you acquire, practise and retain the relevant skills and related knowledge to support your nursing practice? (2 marks)
- Assessing patient data involves four inter-related steps. List and brieftly describe these four linked activities. (4 marks)
- List four aspects of the skin that the nurse assesses during a routine integumentary examination.
- a) Describe how Homans’ sign is conducted:
b) Name the disorder it is used in the diagnosis of:
- You are taking the vital observations of your allocated patient on your clinical practicum and your patient Mr Sacrum asks “can you explain to me what blood pressure is, the nurses always take it but I don’t know what it means?” Answer Mr Sacrum’s question and include the difference between the systolic and diastolic determinations, and what it is a good indicator of. Use the exact words you would use to Mr Sacrum. (3 marks)
- Respiration involves different processes. Name & briefly explain the 3 separate processes: (3 marks)
- The Glasgow Coma Scale is a common method used by health professionals to assess a patient’s level of consciousness. List and briefly discuss the three major areas that it tests the response of: (3 marks)
- Describe five methods of minimising the sensory overload that some patients experience in hospital: (5 marks)
- You are caring for a patient who had abdominal surgery on the previous shift. Her current temperature is 38.2 degrees, the patient asks if this is normal. What two additional investigations in relation to her temperature could you make and briefly explain your rationale for conducting these additional assessments? (2 marks)
- Describe the escalation procedure in relation to the nurses’ responsibilities with monitoring patient’s vital signs. (2 marks)